1. Re-birth like everything else in the universe starts ass backwards.
2. You thought your trajectory was up. It was down.
3. When you land on the pot conjoining the universal halves
4. you’re the rube in the outhouse who didn’t check the seat.
5. You slip through, the solid you giving way to a particle state
6. while your double is falling toward you.
7. You’ve always shared a spooky attraction though at a distance.
8. Your joy was his pain. His good luck was your losing lottery ticket.
9. His appearance on your side of things
10. is footstep-in-the-sand proof of your existence somewhere else.
11. Yo-yoing, you exchange momentum
12. propelled down that junctive rabbit hole
13. into an anomaly of release
14. where you crawl out of time head first into the flux of another world.
Chris Bullard lives in Philadelphia. He received his B.A. in English from the University of Pennsylvania and his M.F.A. from Wilkes University. Kattywompus Press published High Pulp, a collection of his flash fiction, in 2017 and Grey Book Press published Continued, a poetry chapbook, this year. Twitter: @ChrisBu20496680